This week we introduce a new module – Module 02: Mediascape. We will spend the next 3 weeks exploring the vast modern media landscape, aka our digital storytelling platform. Our classroom.
This week we will focus on a theme of Multimobility – a play on words that encapsulates our ecosystem from a broad view. Mobile devices. Multimodal literacy. Crossmedia stories. Connected Learning. Learners today swim in an ocean of digital stories that come at them across a variety of senses. It is a multitude of multitudes in which stories are told today – in which we learn and discover and consume on a continual basis.
Understanding this ecosystem is important. For me, it brings to mind the story of This is Water – in our playlist this week. Do you see what you’re swimming in?
Module 02: Context
In this module we will establish the context for this course.
- Week 04: Multimobility – We’ll explore dimensions of the modern media landscape, e.g. multi-device / multimode / multi-literacies. (Challenge – your pick)
- Week 05: Transmedia Storytelling – We’ll explore examples and techniques of Transmedia Storytelling. (Dialog)
- Week 06: New Constructionism – We’ll explore participatory storytelling and creative culture. (Summary & Reflection)
We’ve used Twitter extensively in past versions of this course, but it is no longer required.
We’ll keep using #inte5340 if you want to post and share things here – it’s useful for connecting with #inte5340 and #ds106 communities as well as the Social Fiction Challenge.
If you post to Twitter, be sure to use #inte5340 so we can find it.
(highlight video title above to discuss | click on playlist icon to pick videos )
Week Two Tasks
(1) Watch and annotate the videos in the Weekly Watchlist (above).
(2) Complete the Weekly-Thing. Each week we will ask you to do a small thing related to this week’s topic. The Weekly-Thing is posted to the #mixtape channel on Slack each Tuesday. Find it. Do it. Post it to the #mixtape channel.
(3) Read & annotate the following article(s) within your assigned hypothes.is group:
(4) Complete a Challenge from the Challenges-list. If you used graphics last week – use AUDIO this week. If you used audio last week – use GRAPHICS this week. And don’t forget, this is where I want to see you S T R E T C H yourself. Your stretch is more important than your art. Pick any Challenge from the list – your choice. Make it. Post it to the #module02 Slack channel.