I shifted gears this week – moving away from the general overview of digital storytelling I had planned; and embracing a theme of renovation instead, i.e. taking something old and making it new again. We will still explore the fundamentals of digital storytelling as a part of our module on context, but I think looking through this lens is more interesting.
The examples explored here illustrate the great cultural and educational potential of digital storytelling and learning. They illustrate how storytelling structures translate into the digital space.
For example, how might Cinderella, Frankenstein, or Jane Eyre play-out in the digital space? Or Dracula or Sherlock Holmes? Keep an eye out for the tools, techniques, and collaborations formed around these renovation stories. We’ll use a few of these classics as a point for exploring the evolution of storytelling from;
- linear to non-linear;
- personal to global;
- passive to active;
- analog to digital.
I’m dropping an audio update for week 3 to the class podcast as well. This is just the first bit – please use the podcast tab (above) to catch the full announcement.
In this module we will establish the context for this course.
- Week 01: Orientation – We’ll take some time for introductions to one another and the conventions used in this course. (Scavenger Hunt Challenge)
- Week 02: The Hero’s Journey – We’ll explore the traditional story structure of the Hero’s Journey and how that translates to the student’s journey. (Challenge – your pick)
- Week 03: Digital Renovating – We’ll review digital storytelling itself; exploring how classic storytelling has evolved. (Summary & Reflection)
We’ve used Twitter extensively in past versions of this course, but it is no longer required.
We’ll keep using #inte5340 if you want to post and share things here – it’s useful for connecting with #inte5340 and #ds106 communities as well as the Social Fiction Challenge.
If you post to Twitter, be sure to use #inte5340 so we can find it.
(highlight video title above to discuss | click on playlist icon to pick videos )
Week Two Tasks
(1) Watch and annotate the videos in the Weekly Watchlist (above).
(2) Complete the Weekly-Thing. Each week we will ask you to do a small thing related to this week’s topic. The Weekly-Thing is posted to the #mixtape channel on Slack each Tuesday. Find it. Do it. Post it to the #mixtape channel.
(3) Read & annotate the following article(s) within your assigned hypothes.is group:
(4) Summarize & Reflect on your growth & discovery in this module.
On your blog, summarize your learning, productivity and participation for the past 3 weeks. This will be the basis of your module grade. Demonstrate evidence of your effort and creativity – tell me, show me, and sell me.
Embed ALL of your creations in the blog post. This should be a gallery of your work for this module.
Explain your hero’s journey of the past 3 weeks using a mix of media. Any combination of text, graphics, audio, video, etc. Consider week 1 (orientation); week 2 (hero’s journey); and week 3 (renovations) in your post.
Answer all of the following questions:
- What was your favorite topic, article or video? Why?
- What was the best hypothes.is discussion? Why? Provide quotes.
- What was your favorite creation from a classmate? Who impressed you? Why?
- What did you make and what tools did you use? (challenges, dialogs, weekly-thing)
- How did you challenge yourself? What was your biggest stretch?
Post a link to your blog post in the #module-01 Slack channel when done.