Welcome to INTE5340: Digital Storytelling & Learning! I hope you’re ready for a different-kind of course. Our subtext is to explore teaching and learning outside-the-box with a variety of learn-by-doing and social-learning methods. We are going to make things, break things, and share things each week.
Each page will follow this format, with a tabs (above) for my notes, module notes, class podcast, and our soundtrack. Your tasks for each week will be listed in the panel below. I will update these pages each week, generally on Sunday.
I often post announcements and sample stories in the class podcast, so check it often. If you use Soundcloud for any of your work, I will add your track here. For now, I have front-loaded the playlist with some stories from other sources, including previous iterations of this class. Please give some of these a listen – this will give you a better sense of our trajectory.
In this module we will establish the context for this course.
- Week 01: Orientation – We’ll take some time for introductions to one another and the conventions used in this course. (Scavenger Hunt Challenge)
- Week 02: The Hero’s Journey – We’ll explore the traditional story structure of the Hero’s Journey and how that translates to the student’s journey. (Challenge – your pick)
- Week 03: Digital Storytelling – We’ll review digital storytelling itself; exploring established practices, tools, and applications in the classroom. (Summary & Reflection)
We’ve used Twitter extensively in past versions of this course, but it is no longer required.
We’ll keep using #inte5340 if you want to post and share things here – it’s useful for connecting with #inte5340 and #ds106 communities as well as the Social Fiction Challenge.
If you post to Twitter, be sure to use #inte5340 so we can find it.
- Watch all videos in the Weekly Watch Playlist (above)
- Review the Module Notes, Podcast, and Soundtrack tabs at the top of this page.
- Review the syllabus, schedule, and tech-requirements for the course.
- Check out a sampling of INTE5340’s Greatest Hits, from course alumni.
- Understanding Comics (graphics) via Paloma Ramirez
- Parenting Timeline (mixed-media) via Robin Romero
- Sourdough Bread & Remix Culture (video) via Paul Zastrocky
- Family Ethnography (mixed-media) via Mandy Genetti
- Lonely Orphan (video) via INTE5340 Fall17
- Sketchnote Topic (video) via Jessica West
- Is this Legit Radio Commercial (blog post/audio) via Jasmine Yap
- 10 Ways – Jaberwocky (mixed-media) via Anne Elias
- Remix a Classmate (mixed-media) via INTE5340 Sum17
- INTE5340 Horror Story (social fiction) via Jasmine Yap
- Complete your first course Challenge – The Scavenger Hunt. This challenge will walk you through various activities in getting set-up for the course, including blog set-up, Slack access, hypothes.is setup, and some introduce-yourself activities. See you on the inside!